Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cabbage Egg Foo Young


This doesn't look beautiful and I must admit that I would have never tried this recipe if looking through a cookbook.  The reason we made it was because Dancer and I took a health class this spring and it was a sample at one of the classes.  After taking one bite I remember thinking, dang, I wish this wasn't just a sample but my dinner.

Cabbage Egg Foo Young

3 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 T. soy sauce
6 large eggs
vegetable oil for frying

Sauce:
2 cups chicken broth
2 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 T. soy sauce

Stir together all ingredient for the patties.  Prepare the sauce in a saucepan.  Whisk over medium heat until thickened - it will also thicken upon standing.  Keep the sauce warm.  To make the patties pour 1/3 cup portions of the cabbage mixture onto a hot, very lightly oiled griddle.  Brown on both sides and serve hot with sauce poured over the top of each patty.

No comments: