Monday, June 18, 2012

Roasted Cabbage with Lemon

I saw this on another blog and kept following the links hoping to find the origin of the recipe.  The final link was Martha Stewart, no surprise there.  This is so simple though that I am sure she wasn't the first to come up with putting lemon and olive oil on cabbage.  I would venture to guess that it was first done by a woman from the old country, perhaps Greece or another Mediterranean country since it is olive oil and lemon, and it is centuries old.  At every link I looked at they tweaked it a bit, and I did the same, so it isn't the exact Martha Stewart recipe either.  This takes but a few minutes to put together but it tastes oh so fancy.


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Clean the cabbage and cut it into thin wedges, I got eight out of the head I had.  Lay them as a single layer on a greased baking pan.   Combine the juice of one lemon and 2 Tbsp. olive oil.  Mix together well and pour on a plate.   Dip the cabbage on each side into the oil mixture and lay back on your pan.  I don't have a pastry brush so this was my solution to getting the oil even on the cabbage and it worked wonderfully and I didn't have a greasy brush to clean up.  Grind some salt and pepper over the cabbage, flip the wedges over and salt and pepper the other side.  Let bake for 15 minutes, or until the cabbage starts to get brown and crispy, and flip the wedges.  Let other side bake for 15 minutes and check that the cabbage is soft. 

No comments: