Monday, January 23, 2012

Homemade Pickled Eggs

Back in September, when we went on a Heritage Day field trip, there was a couple selling pickled eggs.  Now when ever I have seen them in the store I have turned my nose up at them assuming they would be gross and rubbery.   However, while we were there we got caught up in the moment and bought one to share between us.  It was so good we had to go back and get another one, if they hadn't been so expensive for an egg we would have bought a lot more of them. 

We asked how they made them and they gladly shared that they are as simple as putting hard boiled eggs in pickle juice in the refrigerator for no less than two weeks. 


In September our new chickens weren't laying and the old ones were only giving a few a week so we just got around to making these after Christmas.  The brine we chose was one of the few pickles that doesn't have food coloring in them.  Not sure why a pickle needs to be colored but to our frustration most are which makes them off limits to Dancer.   


A pickled egg ready to be eaten.  It is greenish yellow from the juice on the outside but the inside, while it still tasted pickled, was pure white.  These turned out as good as we remembered them from Heritage Days and not a bit rubbery.   We have another batch going, this time in a horseradish brine.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I too, would turn my nose up whenever I saw "pickled eggs" anywhere (well, especially at bars...not that I'm a frequent patron or anything, hehe).

But now you're the second person in about a month who has raved about them. Guess when the chickens start laying again in the spring I'm going to have to try it!

April said...

Do you peel the eggs first??

~*~The Family~*~ said...

Yes, peel them and I always use the oldest eggs I have as I find they peel better.