Sunday, March 13, 2011

Rise and Shine Valentine

Dancer had a lock in last night for 4-H Jr. Leaders.  It went from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m., however, they did not take note of the day light savings time set back and we still needed to pick her up at 6 a.m. new time which sure felt like 5 a.m. old time.   I only had to wake Dad to go get her and he went and picked her up.  I went picked her up last year so I didn't fell one bit guilty about snuggling back under the covers after he drove out of the driveway. 

The lock-in was in a tiny, tiny town about 25 miles away where they didn't seem to plow the roads after our snow the other night.  As people we leaving they were getting stuck in the road, which gave Dad a little extra aerobic exercise early in the morning when he helped push them out. 

Dad also picked up one of Dancer's friends and brought her back to our house.  Her parents were late picking her up so Dad didn't get back to bed until about 7 a.m. and Dancer didn't get into bed for the first time until then. 

At noon, we started to wonder if we should start waking Dancer so she isn't completely off track for the week but didn't want to wake her too early that she would be a complete crab all day.  There is a fine line there.  At 1:00 I started the wake up process and she was up by 1:15. 

I remember my mom use to come in banging a pot with a spoon.  That was all I needed to be in an instant bad mood and completely irritated.  She didn't save this wake up call for only days when I would sleep too late, she employed this tactic, I guess whenever the mood struck her.  I always vowed that I would never bang a pot and spoon to wake my kids. 

To wake our kids I usually go in and wiggle their foot and say "Rise and shine Valentine."  This can still irritate them but then they don't know the alternative.

No comments: