Saturday, February 12, 2011

Don't jump!.......He jumped.

Last night I went into tuck Spark into bed.  When I came back out, and was walking through the kitchen to the dining room table, I saw this purple thing flapping under a postcard that was propped up by the check book.  It was extremely creepy and once I got over my initial shock I ever so carefully, while standing a good distance back, lifted the postcard up.  Under it was our beta fish.  Quickly, I snatched him up and deposited him back into his bowl. 

Once back in the bowl, he swam around and then started tilting to one side.  I thought that would be the end of him.  Dancer came out to have a look and thought he had a cut on his side.  There really isn't much, actually this isn't anything, that can be done for an injured fish, we would just have to wait and see how he was going to do.

Dancer and I looked around the counter where his bowl is.  There was a greeting card sitting about eight inches away from where I found him that had some of his purple color on it and then it was wet over to the postcard.  We suspect that he thought he saw something, charged at it and got himself flipped out of the bowl like a freak accident. 

The odd thing about him getting out of the bowl is that most of the time he lays on the bottom so still that we tap the bowl to see if he is alive.  We have been thinking that he is on his last fin for sometime now and expect to find him dead.

In case he was planning on jumping again in the future, Dancer took about an inch of water out of his bowl and put a piece of paper on top of it to make his suicide attempts more difficult.

This morning found him alive and well, swimming up-right with no tilt and more active than ever.  

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

Huh. That's unusual. Is it possible he caught a look at his reflection somewhere? All of the bettas I've owned, I never heard of one jumping its bowl before.

Maybe he wanted to see how the other half lived. :o)

Peace and Laughter!