Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Giving Thanks Challenge - Never hitting anything with the car

My dad thinks I am crazy and paranoid, but animals wait in the ditch to jump in front of the car when I am driving.  At least once a week something will run in front of me and several times a week I see animals in the ditch.  Birds even swoop at the car like kamikaze pilots.

Deer are the ones that try to get me the most.  Once I even drove through a herd of deer.  That was sort of surreal to be surrounded by deer while going down the highway.  Amazingly, I didn't hit a one, it was like the parting of the red sea.  I have had a skunk run down the middle of the road right in front of the car.  Don't really want to hurry those little guys, if they want to run down the middle of the road you let them.   The alternative stinks! lol.   I have had to wait for entire turkey families to take their sweet time crossing the road and raccoons to finish their dinner of worms before they would move on.  I even have to wait for the chickens to get off the driveway before I can get the car in the garage.  They have no fear of me at all, they must know if they don't hurry I will wait.  Honking doesn't help.  Cats, same thing, have to wait for them to get out of the way.  They even come running when we get home and run in front of the car.

To stack the odds in my favor of not hitting anything, the kids are now experts at watching the ditches as we drive along.  Several times their attentiveness has saved us from calling the insurance company. 

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

I applaud you for never hitting anything. I hit something--a squirrel--for the very first time in over twenty years of driving last spring and I was devastated. They really do seem to leap out of the bushes and run for your car. I know I was stressed and tired when it happened, so I now take even greater caution while driving. It is the worst feeling in the world.

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina