Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Swallow nest

One of us isn't getting the message and I don't think it is me.  The swallows have been building nests on the light right outside our front door incessantly this spring.  Seven or eight times I have gone out there and knocked it down and they keep making another one.  I thought they had given up and found somewhere else to make a nest as there hasn't been one for a few weeks but this morning they are back.  Perhaps these are a new pair.  It's not like we don't have hundreds of good places to put a nest, they can go anywhere except right outside the door.  This morning I left for an hour and when I came back they had made this big of a nest.  ONE HOUR!  They must have watched us pull out of the drive way and got right to work.  It was amazing, the mud was all stacked up to form neat little walls and weeds and hay were woven in the mud in a perfect little circle.  This one came down too, go find a shed or some place else to build your nest. 

2 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

That's great! You've made the swallows speed nest builders!

My parents always have trouble with starlings at their house. They build a nest over the roof gutter drain ever year since I was a teenager,and every year the nest slides down the drainpipe at least a few times before they finally give up!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Just an Average American Mom said...

Too Funny.

I think lots of people are having trouble with birds building around their homes this year.

Good Luck!