Saturday, January 30, 2010

Just a moment

Spark has the calculator out and a serious look on his face when the asks how to figure out the times in a day. Has a pen to punch the keys of the calculator, this is what he does when he has big matters to unjumble. First is the hours into minutes. He punches that into the calculator and revels in the answer. Then the minutes into seconds. Again, he diligently pokes the keys and is amazed at the large number of seconds in a day. What comes after a second he wants to know. Not wanting to get in to a long explanation about nanoseconds etc, I say that I think that is it. 'No," he says, "there are moments." How many moments in a second? Gee, I don't know the answer to that one. Perhaps a blink of an eye is a moment? No, he decides, if you had really long blink then that would be longer than a moment. Upon further thought he deduces that a there a ten moments in a second.

I have been thinking about this now for about a day and I think he may be right. Some of the best moments in my life were that short. I thought of that first step down the wedding aisle, the first time you feel that little flutter of a baby in your tummy so quick you wonder if you really felt anything at all, the start of their first cry, the first time they give you a grin and you know they appreciate that you haven't hardly slept for the six weeks since their birth and of course I could go on and on. So yes Spark, I think you are right, there could be ten moments in a second because a lot of them seem to come and go that quickly. I am going to try and be more on guard for those moment so I don't miss them. What are some of your moments?

No comments: