Friday, June 26, 2009

Somebodies knocking, should I let him in?

The Dad, for years, has worked nights. I sleep well when he is at work but I have to admit that I do sleep much more deeply when he is home knowing that if something comes up he will take care of it. Last night he was working so subconsciously I was on alert. At 1:45 a.m. a jolting BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG has me flying out of bed with my heart racing so hard that I can feel it outside my chest. The kids and I have been reading the Sisters Grimm series and in those books every time there is a knock at the door during the night, Sabrina, one of the sisters, gets up and stupidly opens the door and it always turns out to be a bad idea. So crazily, my mind goes to these stories and I worry about who, or what, could be out there. Not that I was expecting a Jabberwocky or anything but it did cross my mind. Remember I have only been awake for about 4 seconds when that thought went through my head. As I am going down the hall, I can hear that Dancer is up and I don't want her to go to the door. At the same time, I need to be quiet because I don't want whoever is out there to know that we are awake since they haven't knocked again since the initial BANG, BANG, BANG. I also start wondering how I am going to look out and see who it is because we have a window in our door so they could see me before I can get a good look at them. We live among corn fields, so I am assuming it is a crazy ax murderer out cruising country roads and decided to stop and kill someone. Dancer starts mumbling something about not being able to find knob. Knob? Just stay in your room I whisper, and don't answer the door. Then she says something about not being able to get out of my room and because she can't get the dresser out of the way. She thought the bedroom door was shut and that she was sleeping in my room and while getting up to go to the bathroom she couldn't figure out where she was. In her defense, I am the only one who sleeps in the same spot every night, the rest of the family is like a bunch of gypsies sleeping where ever they find comfortable that night. When I finally sorted all this out she was trying to get into her closet. As she woke up a little more she said she was pounding on the wall trying to find the knob to get out of the room. My heart is still pumping like I had just ran a 5K so I have to decide, is this really what the knocking was or is someone still out there. I feel my way in complete darkness to the door, quick flip on the porch light so I will startle the wanna-be intruder, look out the window and see no one. Oh, thank heavens! It did take a few minutes to get myself back together and then even longer to fall back asleep. The Dad is home tonight and I couldn't be happier.

No comments: